Create a Free Blog on Blogger
Blogging has became a passion nowadays. People around the world using blog for expressing their thoughts and sharing pics. Some others using it as their source of income. There are many platforms which offer free blogs. In which Blogger and WordPress are the recommended one’s. A free blog has its own limitations but for a newbie its good to start from a free one. After getting some experience you can move to a Self Hosted one.
Blogger is Google’s blogging platform. Creating a free blog with Blogger is pretty much easy. It’s just need your Google Account to start the blog. So if you don’t have one account yet, create one before continuing to the next steps.
If you created Google account or you already have one, go to the Blogger site. Login with your google account. You will redirected to a page as follows. Click on “Continue to Blogger “ button to create your blog.
Now you are entered in to your blogger Dashboard. As you are not created any blogs yet, it will show an empty dashboard. There you have the option to create the Blog. Click on “New Blog” button to start the blog.
A popup will open, showing “Create a new blog”. in which you have the option to give Title and Address for your blog. Give an appropriate Title and address and click “create blog” button. That’s all you had created your first blog.
Now the window will show your Dashboard with many options. You can see your blog site by clicking “View Blog” button on top. It will show an empty blog as you are not created any blog posts yet.
Now we will check some of the important options in your blogger dashboard.
1. Overview – Its for checking the overall performance of your blog. You can see the page views and comments which were awaiting for moderation here.
2. Posts – It will show all your blog posts. As you are not created one, it will be an empty list.
4. Layout – By using this option you can edit the layout structure of your blog. You can also add different widgets by clicking “Add a Gadget” option. A popup will open when clicks on the Add a gadget option. Which will contain a variety of widgets likes, popular posts, google plus followers, Slid Show etc. Just click on the widget you need and click on “Save” option. It will add to your layout.
5. Template – Its another important option. By using this option you can customize , edit and change the theme of your blog. At start the blog loaded with the basic theme, which looks boring. There’s a lot of free blogger templates available around the web. you can use them in your blog.
Before doing any change in your blog, its recommended to make a copy of your template. For this, click “Template” then click on “Backup/Restore” option in the right top corner. From there you will get the option to download your current template.
For uploading any template use the option “Browse” and choose your template and click “Upload”. Now view your blog, it will loaded with the uploaded template.
The template option also has a button “Edit HTML”. By using this you can alter the html code of your blogger template. If you don’t have any idea about html codes, not recommended to edit these things. And before doing any changes make a backup of your template.
6. Settings – Its an important area, here you can add the Description and Meta tags for your blog. If you want to change the blog title or address, you can do that from here.
For adding meta tags click on “Search Preference option”.
These are the basic things you should know about a blog. Now you can start blogging by creating your first post. Click on “New post” on the dashboard. Give appropriate post title, add contents to the post.
Check the “Post settings” section on right side. Using these settings you can add labels, location, and can edit your post URL. Hit “Publish” button after writing the contents and doing settings. Now you have created your first blogger post. Always remember one thing while blogging that Content is King . So make relevant posts and happy blogging.