Today we are here to discuss Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Google Blogger. Google Blogger or Blogspot is one of the famous and free content management systems (CMS). Although Blogspot has some limitation compare to other paid-hosting CMS. There are still possibilities of success is high with proper Google Blogger SEO. You must know without optimizing for the search engine, we even can’t dream to get sufficient traffic from search engines. And, no traffic is equal to no money, total waste of time. I am not here to disappoint you with highly optimizing SEO tips that you even can’t figure out some cases. Instead, I’ll guide you to basic SEO for Google Blogger. And believe me, this basic guide is enough for your Blogspot career. So, without any more delay, let’s start with The Complete Google Blogger SEO Guide of 2016.
1. Title, Description & Privacy
Title appear in the address bar and top of the site. The description becomes available bellows title after the edit. Privacy settings let search engines find your site. These three options are the first basic of Google Blogger SEO. To change and edit these options, go to “Settings” and then “Basic”. The main part of this guide is Privacy Settings. If you want search engines to index your site then you must activate the option “Let search engines find your blog?”. Another option “Add your blog to our listings?” not that much important. This option is just for adding your site to the Blogspot reading list.
2. Meta Description
Meta Description is one of the best parts of user engagement and Google Blogger SEO. This description appears bellow title when you search something on search engines. If your meta description appealing enough, users can click on your link in search results. But, this description must not exceed the 150-word limit. Just make it very catchy and keywords based so people can easily know what is your site about before entering your site. To change and edit this option, simply click on “Settings” and then “Search preferences”. Go to Meta Tag section and hit on edit in description option. Activate “Enable search description?” and go ahead.
3. Search Description
Search Description works same as the meta description. But, where meta description is for your main page, search description is designed for every specific post. You can edit it manually with your keywords, which is good for SEO. Else search engines will adopt first few words from your post, which is not good for SEO or term of user engagement most of the cases. But again, this description must not exceed the 150-word limit. Make sure it’s appealing and formative enough so people can easily know what you are offering in the post. Also, don’t forget to drop your keywords in the description. To change or edit this option, go to your post, look at the right sidebar. There has a Search Description option under Post Settings. Just click on it and go ahead.
4. Custom robots.txt
Robots.txt helps search engines to understand the structure of your site. This is an important part of SEO. Although Google blogger creates this automatically for your site, but still, it’s better to do manually. Here you can tell your search engines what post to index and what post not to do. To change and edit this option, simply click on “Settings” and then “Search preferences”. Go to “Crawlers and indexing” section and then “Custom robots.txt”. Now hit edit and activate “Enable custom robots.txt content?”. Place there bellow code:
Don’t forget to change URL with your own site name. Now let’s discuss all these terms that I include in robots.txt for making it SEO friendly.
- User-agent: This is online bots or crawlers that are acting on behalf of search engines. In this case, “Mediapartners-Google” is a user agent, help you to show related absence ads.
- Disallow: If you want to block any post from the index, this option is useful for you. Sometimes you may only want to notify your readers but not search engines, in that case, this becomes handy. If you want to place any link here, just copy the link after “/” of your main URL and place along with “Disallow:”.You can see here we blocked search bar with this option. This is because your site already has a default search bar. If you allow another, the result can be a Google Penalty for duplicate content. Do this for your Blogger SEO sake.
- Allow: By default, this option index everything from your site.
- Sitemap: Here we drop our robots.txt link.
5. Custom Robots Header Tags
Custom Robots Header Tags tell search engines what things to index and what things not to index. Work similar like robots.txt but here we allow or block particular part of the site instead of just a link. To change and edit this option, simply click on “Settings” and then “Search preferences”. Go to “Crawlers and indexing” section and then “Custom robots header tags”. Now tap the edit button and activate “Enable custom robots header tags?”. Here you will see three different portions:
- Homepage: Check “all” and “noodp”, leave uncheck other boxes. We check “all” box for index our home page in search engines. Also, we check “noodp” to prevents Google from using their self-generated meta description in search results.
- Archive and Search pages: Check “noindex” and “noodp”, leave uncheck other boxes. As we discuss before, allow search engine again can end our site with Google Penalty for duplicate content. Same for archive too.
- Default for Posts and Pages: Check “all” and “noodp”, leave uncheck other boxes. Work same as the homepage.
PS: There has an option “Custom Robots Tags” in the blog post at the right sidebar under “Post Settings”. You can manually and individually allow or block each post from indexing in search engines.
6. SEO Optimize Blogger Post Titles
If already publish a post, then open your post. There you will see in your address bar the title format similar like this Site title: Post Title. This is not good for SEO or user experience. The structure of the title should look like post title – site title or just simply Post Title. To change and Optimize Google Blogger Post Titles follow below steps:
- Go to Template and hit “Edit HTML” button.
- Then click on editor anywhere and press Ctrl+F from your keyboards.
- Now paste in the search box and hit enter.
- To order to change the format, select the result texts (same as search code), replace it with below code and click Save template.
Find this code
And replace it with this
<b:if cond=’data:blog.pageType == “item”‘>
<title><data:blog.pageName/> | <data
7. SEO Optimize Post Images
To properly optimize a post, you also need to optimize post images. Search engines don’t know what is your image about. In this case, you have to tell your search engine about your image by placing an ALT tag in your images. To order to do that, click on the image icon in Blogspot post and upload a picture from your local drive. Now Click on the image and hit “add selected” button. You can see your image within your post. Here come the tricky part. Now click on the photo. You will see an option bar below or over the image with options like image size, alignment, caption, properties. Just click on the property link. Next, you will see a pop-up box with Title text and ALT text. Enter your keyword friendly text in ALT bar and hit ok. Congrats! Your image is perfectly optimized for Blogspot. Additionally, you can add Caption or Title text to your image in term of user experience.
8. SEO Friendly Permalink
Today, Permalink plays a big role in Blogger SEO. Google blogger’s default permalink structure is not friendly for SEO at all. So you have to edit it manually. In order to change and set your own custom permalink, first, open a draft or create a new post and go to the right sidebar. Under “Post Settings” there has an option name “Permalink”. Click on this and hit “Custom Permalink” ration button. Now customize your permalink with keywords and make it SEO friendly.
Blogger SEO is beneficial in many ways. In term of user experience or massive traffic or handsome money. From the first day of your Blogspot journey, try to optimize your every post. What I discuss here is totally basic and easy part of SEO, so I guess if you want, you can properly optimize your Blogspot blog from now. Best of luck for your precious journey.
Also Read: How to Move Blogger to WordPress